Hi, I’m Kate, and I want to help you find ways to read more often with your kids and do activities with them that are inspired by the books. This, in turn, will give your child a strong foundation in literacy. Children who master early literacy skills before Kindergarten have more success in school and learn to read more easily.
I love teaching reading and all things literacy. I can remember wanting to be a teacher as early as 6 or 7 years old and went on to pursue that career. In 2008, I earned a B.S. Elementary Education and started my career in North Carolina as a Pre-K teacher. I spent 5 years teaching 3-5 year olds and then switched to Elementary where I taught 1st & 2nd grade for 5 years. In 2019, my husband and I decided that the best fit for our family would be for me to leave teaching so I could be a stay-at-home-mom. We have two children–a girl and a boy! I am so thankful to have this time at home with my kids. It’s fun and exhausting, and I love it. I do miss teaching reading, though. Luckily, I get to read books and do projects all week with my little ones. I also get to incorporate activities that focus on early literacy skills into our day. It is SO important that a solid literacy foundation is laid during those early years. I’m here to help you do just that with your own kiddos!
A few things you might like to know about me…
- I’m from Maine, USA (and often wish I’d never left!)
- I enjoy learning hand embroidery
- Weekend morning coffee rides make me happy
- I’m an early bird
- My favorite foods are pizza and sushi
- I’m not a big movie watcher, and so I don’t get most movie references people make–my husband loves to pick on me for this 🙂
- I like going to outdoor concerts
- I don’t like shopping in stores. Amazon is my best friend.
- Cooking is one of my favorite hobbies
- I love a good glass of wine and spending hours chatting with friends